After filing your state taxes, awaiting your refund can often feel like a period of prolonged anticipation. The good news is that if you filed your taxes in the state of New York, there are several methods you can use to track the status of your refund. This article will guide you through the steps to answer the question: “Where is my New York State refund?”
The quickest and most convenient way to check the status of your New York State refund is online, using the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s website. Here is how you do it:
- Visit the Department’s “Check your Refund” page. You can find this by typing “New York State Check Refund” into a search engine or going directly to the Department of Taxation and Finance’s website and navigating to the appropriate page.
- You will need to provide some information to access your refund status. This includes your Social Security number (or your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), the form you filed, and the exact amount of the refund you’re expecting. Make sure to have these details on hand before you get started.
- After entering this information, the online tool will provide the status of your refund.
Please note that it generally takes up to 90 days from the date you filed your return to receive your refund.
Via Mobile App
If you prefer using your smartphone, the state of New York also provides a mobile app for checking your refund status. The app, NY.Gov Services, is available for download on both Android and iOS devices. The process is similar to the online method – you will need to enter your Social Security number or ITIN, the form you filed, and the exact refund amount.
If you do not have internet access or prefer to use the phone, you can call the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s automated refund status line. The number to call is 518-457-5149. The automated system operates 24/7 and provides information in English and Spanish.
Please note that while the automated line is available at any time, if you need to speak with a person, their business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Timeframe: As mentioned, it generally takes up to 90 days from the date of filing for a refund to be issued if you filed electronically and your return was error-free. If you filed a paper return, it might take longer.
- Security: The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance places a high emphasis on security. Ensure you have all your details correct when you enter them, as multiple unsuccessful attempts to access your refund status may lock you out of the system for a period.
- Filing status: Remember that the status of your refund will not be available until it’s been processed. If you’ve just filed your return, you may need to wait a few days before you can check the status.
By using the online tool, mobile app, or phone line provided by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, you can easily track the status of your state tax refund. Keep in mind that patience is key during tax season, as the processing times can vary based on various factors. Rest assured that your refund is on its way and will arrive as quickly as possible.